My Blog List

Monday, June 6, 2011

Dare to Be Bold

Our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion, we have not chosen, but society has chosen for us. We are parlour soldiers. We shun the rugged battle of fate, where strength is born. – Ralph Waldo Emerson  “Next to Resistance, rational thought is the artist or entrepreneur's worst enemy. Bad things happen when we employ rational thought, because rational thought comes from the ego. Instead, we want to work from the Self, that is, from instinct and intuition, from the unconscious.  A child has no trouble believing the unbelievable, nor does the genius or the madman. Its only you and I, with our big brains and our tiny hearts, who doubt and overthink and hesitate.” - Steven Pressfield, Do the Work.         
      The idea of “being realistic” holds all of us back. From starting a business or quitting a job to dating someone who may not be our type or moving to a new place – getting “real” often means putting your dreams on hold.     
     Today, let’s take a step away from rational thought and dare to be bold. What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to accomplish but have been afraid to pursue? Write it down. Also write down the obstacles in your way of reaching your goal. Finally, write down a tangible plan to overcome each obstacle.  The only thing left is to, you know, actually go make it happen. What are you waiting for?                                                               
See, I have to disagree with that big brains/tiny hearts line.  Many people in my life have big brains and big hearts.  Take my friend, Rosemary.  She's one smart cookie.  And she listens to my worries and offers me advice.  Really good advice.  My sis-in-laws, Susan and Leslyn, have gigantimous hearts and loads of wisdom.  I've learned that about them through the years.  My husband knows all kinds of info about history and jazz and photography and he has a heart that loves dogs and birds and his family.  Perhaps I am older than some of the people doing these writing prompts but I am living my dream (well, a little more travel would be nice) each and every day. I stepped away from my career and retired early because it wasn't fulfilling any of my needs besides a paycheck.  I adjusted my needs and now have less money but so much more happiness.  I like to think I'm bold in small ways all the time.  I guess I don't go in for the big flashy bold stuff like starting up a company or inventing something new that will make me a millionaire.  I am rich beyond compare (what's with comparisons anyway?)  in my daily life with big-hearted  big-brained friends and family.  Guess my ship, err, my little boat has come in.  And it is named Joy!
                Photo taken September 2011 at Many Glaciers Hotel in Glacier National Park.  A heavenly place!

2 comments:

  1. Yipes ! What is it about this kind of "be bold" challenge that makes me shrink away? Perhaps it is Procrastinator Kim saying "why start today what you can always start tomorrow?" Or perhaps it is just that I want to enjoy this very day, the way I am in this moment, and feel even if it is just for a moment or two, like the words my friend Patti shared again today are true : "You are not broken. You don't need to be fixed." Ahhhh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you marry me, Kim? Oh wait--I'm already married and so are you :) I haven't done this writing prompt because I, too, want to enjoy this very day exactly the way I am at the moment. I did the prompt about 15 minutes to live and then here comes another prompt about a week to live. Huh? I am living my life day today just as it is--nothing broken or not bold enough or whatever. Really? I can't wait for Patti's prompt because I know it will resonate with me because she is so je ne sais quoi and all--as you already know!

    ReplyDelete