My Blog List

Monday, June 6, 2011

Come Alive

Come Alive by Jonathan Mead--Writing Prompt:


Life wastes itself while we are preparing to live. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you had one week left to live, would you still be doing what you’re doing now? In what areas of your life are you preparing to live? Take them off your To Do list and add them to a To Stop list. Resolve to only do what makes you come alive.  Bonus: How can your goals improve the present and not keep you in a perpetual “always something better” spiral?

Yes.  The answer is yes, I would be doing what I am doing now.  I ended my teaching career several years age as a resolve to only do what makes me come alive.  I haven't done a perfect job at it, but then perfection is always overrated.  I am living my life one day at a time.  Seven of those days in a row add up to a week.  A glorious ordinary, wonderfully extraordinary week.  No big trips, no huge declarations of love.  Just this:  
A smile in the morning from my husband as he gets ready for work, a satisfying cup of coffee, meeting our friends at the corner for a walk with doggies,  a giggly phone conversation with my granddaughter, a nice good glass of wine some evenings,  fresh delicious food for dinner, sea salt caramel ice cream from up the street and every now and then, something unexpected that really rocks our world.  
                                *Hand made ice cream, not sea salt caramel but tasty nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment